Monday, September 2, 2013

DIY-Love potion charm

 We all deserve a little bit of magic in our lives :)

I don't know about you guys but I love anything that is miniature and has to do with magic. To me, it is just the cutest things and they remind me of when I was super obsessed with Harry Potter (I might still be, lol). I've tried making these with water, glue, clear icing gel, and clear glue but I find that the laundry detergent works best. I do say tho, after a while, the water in it will evaporate and the vial will not be full, BUT the food color will stain the vial giving it a really pretty stained glass look. I just can't express how much I love the way it looks! Anyways, on to how I made it. :)



  • small vial with cork top 
  • clear laundry detergent
  • food coloring & toothpick
  • super glue (E6000,jewelry glue..)
  • eye pin
  • Chain with closure
  • jump ring
  • charm (optional)
  • twine, or wire and a small tag (optional)
  • mini heart glitter (optional)

I am missing a couple pictures here because I didn't think they were necessary.


  1.  Fill your vial with the laundry detergent. If you are using gel food coloring, dip your toothpick in in, then stir it into the vial. If you are using water food coloring, add drop by drop and stir until you achieve the desired color.
  2.  Add glitter if you have any. I bought the small heart glitter at Michaels. (Note: It is a seasonal product, available around Valentines)
  3. If you are adding a tag to it, go ahead and wrap it around the neck of the bottle and tie it tight. You can also add a bit of glue to the knot so you can be sure it will not come off.
  4. Push down the cork in the bottle until you get a mark like below.

5. Push in your eye pin through the cork. Bend it at the bottom and cut the extra. Add glue for extra security.
6. Now, make sure you are happy with the color and you've added what your want inside because once its closed, you won't be able to open it!
7. Add glue up to the mark on the cork from step 4.
8. Close off your vial and let dry for at least 24 hours.
9. Add your charm and chain using the pin hole at the top, and you are done!

 After the water in the detergent has evaporated, the glitter sticks to the walls of the vial :)
They don't stay there long, but it sure does look cute!
I bought this charm online from Fire Mountain Gems.

Hope you have enjoyed this DIY and that you give it a try :)
P.S There will be a video on instagram showing the charm better ::)





No comments: