Tuesday, May 21, 2013

DIY-Napkin Coasters


This weekend I attended a Monster High themed party. Sometime from the moment I started taking pictures to when I put my camera away, a cute skull napkin made its way into my camera bag. Well, today I found it, and it was just too cute to throw away, or to be stored so I decided to make it into coasters! At a glace. you wouldn't be able to tell these came from napkins! lol


  • Ceramic tiles
  • One ply decorative napkin (if it is double ply, just peel off the back layer) 
  • Mod Podge (Matte)
  • Foam brush
  • Bone folder or a plastic popsicle stick
  • Felt or foam stickers (I used two small circle foam stickers)






  1. Wash  and dry your tiles. Any dirt or dust will cause the napkin to be bubbly.
  2. With your foam brush apply a layer of Mod Podge to the tile. You want a thin coat.

 3.  Place your napkin on the tile where you want it. With your bone folder or stick, gently press out any bubbles and wrinkles. You will not be able to get them all without the napkin ripping, but it helps to start from the middle and gently push out the the edges.
 4.  Once the Mod Podge has dried (about 20 minutes) sand the edges. You can rip them off gently if you want a more homemade look.


 5.  With your foam brush, add ONE layer of the Mod Podge to the napkin. You want to try and get the whole length with one stroke to ensure no further wrinkling or ripping will occur. Make sure you get the edges really well! If it starts to wrinkle use your finger to slowly smooth it out.
 6. Let dry completely.
 7.  On the bottom, add small pieces of felt or foam stickers so they wont scratch your table. I used two round foam stickers cut in half.


YOU'RE DONE!

Imagine making some for every occasion you have? No? Okay.
I hope my nieces will like there, they love Monster High almost as much as leaving their cups on tables. Haha. I am sure they're mom will appreciate them using them. :)







No comments: